Thursday, March 11

Mrs. Cleaver where did you go?

I read an article today in the NYC Times Want to Volunteer in Schools? Be Ready for a Security Check. I have no problem with this. I find it comforting to know that some measure is being taken to keep children safe.

We have long pasted the times when we knew little Johnnies mom and dad along with his aunts, uncles, grandparents, and other family members. Today’s families are more complicated. Stepparents, boyfriends, and girlfriends, live-ins whose status is still undetermined, and just some friend of mom or dad’s from work.

It would make your toes curled if you knew how many parents will let anyone “help” in their child’s class. Once while subbing in a Kindergarten class we were prepared to leave for a morning field trip. One little girl started to cry and when I asked her why she replied” because my mommy’s new friend is suppose to go with me!” When I asked her what he looked like her reply made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up: “ I don’t know she just meet him last night and said he was coming.”

Seems the mom had promised to come and then had to work so she was going to send anyone just to make sure there was a body in her place.

Need I say more?

And before you ask no he did not come on the trip.

To be honest I have never know a Mrs. Cleaver...being a military brat myself, strangers often became family. That isn't how it is anymore and as a mother and a teacher I want to know who is "volunteering" in the classrooms!

A little caution is a good thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|