Sunday, March 12

House Hunting

Mom and dad arrived early and well. We had a nice dinner and chatted then a phone call from the realtor about house hunting tomorrow (Saturday). After a few minutes of watching my dad's face I could see the frustration building. I look at my mom and she is now laughing. It seems their realtor has a heavy southern accent and my father is deaf so combine the two and well its nothing but comic relief for mom. Honestly it was a bit funny to watch...its like watching to see how high a soda will spray after shaking it and handing it you some poor guy to open...everyone takes bets.

So I am sitting there watching and listening and I hear "No my daughter isn't coming she has to study." Go dad because I did in fact have studying to do. Mom stops laughing looks at me and says "You're not going to go with us just for a little while?" Uh oh. I tell her no I have studying to do.

Then it happens the lid is taken off and he blew...next thing I know I hear "You want me to meet you where? Where?? Can you say it again?" Wham I am now on the phone with Vicki and her deep southern twang. Not only was the accent heavy but the woman talked faster then is humanly possible...and before I know it I have agreed to bring the parents to the drop of point and go house hunting with them.


Its all good I can study in the evening when Katrina (my friend and tutor) comes over.

We are up and out at 8 am and it's a beautiful day. Mom insists on going to breakfast since we are meeting Vicki at I HOP. We got in just in time, it seems to be the hot spot here in town on an EARLY Saturday morning. Order and mom sees Vicki's truck...I am sent out to bring her in. I explain to Vicki that dad is VERY hard of hearing and she needs to talk SLOWLY AND CLEARLY! Vicki said"No problem her husband it also a bit deaf!"

The rest of the day progressed as follows:

Mom:"I don't want to live way out in the boonies"

First house we looked at was beautiful but let me say this...BOONIES! Lots of farm land, cows, and horses.

Second house father out then first house...dad loves the trees, Mom is now counting cows.

Around the 5th or 6th or 7th house in the boonies we stop to look at a very cute house( at least from the outside.) Still under construction but it has promise. Vicki tries the key ...broken in the door, (that was the first sign we should have moved on.) Dad says maybe a window is open let me go around back Mom and I walk around to the garage...dad comes back around says he found an open window ... I walk to look at said window mom decides to wait (smart lady) I take a few steps behind dad...wow he is walking funny...oh wait ...shit I am sinking ...HELLO I am sinking in a mud hole...look at dad he is sinking...look at mom for help she is laughing so hard that I would have been lost forever if I didn't find a way out. I spent no kidding 20 min trying to remove mud from the shoes and of course Mom is still laughing. We move on the next house and it is also still under construction...and HAS A HUGE MOUND OF SAW DUST AND DIRT that I graciously walked right through because I couldn't see it in the MIDDLE OF THE DARK LAUNDRY AREA!!!! Vicki I think at that point was wishing she had stayed home... we were all driving in her nice new Ford F150. Yeah sorry Vicki! Actually we found some scraps of carpet on the site to put in her truck.


Mom not looking happy, Dad constantly saying "Can you speak up I did hear that." , Vicki looking exhausted and trying to speak up louder for dad, me now full of mud, dust, and dirt thinking I still have to study!!

One thing Dad could hear well was every time my phone rang. I would hear " Tell them you will call them later." Maybe he was worried I would give out the details and ask for a rescue team!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

In the middle of all the fun my SIL calls I love talking to her to bad she wasn't with us to enjoy it all! She made a request for some form of water near by when she comes to visit. I am going to offer her the mud hole!!! It was the closest I could find.

I finally did get to study and it went well. Mom and dad are out again on the great house hunt. Wish them luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

No comment
SIL

5:32 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger colleen said...

WELL.... she could have been a he that sounds as redneck as Larry the cable-guy...it could have been cow dung since "mom" counted so many of them and also the house we first rented 18 years ago when we first moved here from civilization (MD) our neighbors has goayts,cows chickens and a DONKEY ..NOT a pretty smell on hot summer days... GOOD LUCK!!!

7:45 PM, March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|