Sunday, January 30

Yearbook Time

Let me start with a “ Thank you” to those who have emailed to check up on the girls and I. I am sorry I didn’t update sooner. We are fine.

It’s Yearbook time again. I have been so involved with planning and working on it that other then my usual home stuff I just didn’t have any extra time.

I had planned on handing yearbook to some else when school ended this year but I doubt I will now. The only person who has shown an interest in taking it over is a woman I just can’t stand. She is one of those people that will adjust everything so that her child is the center of any and everything.

4 years ago when we arrived here the yearbooks were $25.00. I was shocked. One day the principal asked if I had purchased the girls yearbooks. I told her not at that price. She asked if I had a better way so that it could be cheaper? Of course I said and there you have it, I got the “job” of yearbook,with a selling price of $10.00 per book.

Before I got the “job”( It’s a volunteer job.”) the staff did it. They hated it. I hear it every year “ Thank god you’re doing it we hated it!”. They had even talked about not doing a yearbook.

I believe the students should be part of the process; after all it is all about them. I also believe ALL, the students can participate. So the first year I set out to just get the students use to being a part of a team working on collages, and when I invited the students, I invited the parents. It’s a great ploy to get parents to volunteers, tell them their child has been chosen to be the class rep for their class, how special it is they were chosen, and if they wanted to “join” them they were welcome. Worked like a charm and in the process I ended up with a staff.

Then I moved on to the kids not only creating the pages but also proofing, and deciding page placement. Of course the parents are always invited. This year I took a big risk and I gave the cameras to the students. I thought it would be good for them to use their artwork to make the collages. Yes, all of them Kindergarten –5th grade. Many teachers think I have lost my mind. Honestly I may have but I am also very interested to see what they come up with. I can’t help but think that seeing the world through a child’s perspective will make our yearbook something special.


The parent who wants to take over yearbook, she wants only 4th and 5th grade to participate and to make color pages. Colors pages add $2.50 more to each yearbook per color page. She wants 3 color pages. Which means many of our students couldn’t afford a yearbook.

I don’t think so!

So I will be the yearbook lady another year. Its ok wait to you read my next blog entree I has to do with the words, PTA and NO. You are going to be proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|