Sunday, July 29

Update

Last week Alyssa saw a neurologist and was diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome. We have been blessed in two ways. First, her A.D.D. meds are working to also keep her tourettes symptoms under control. Second, she has what they consider a mild form of the tourettes (no sudden vocal outburst, just body twitches and a huff). The biggest shocker for me was when he told us it was hereditary. I can't think of one person in our family or Rob's family who had any symptoms of tourettes.

Wednesday she is going to see a psychologist. Stress is a major factor for the onset of her Tic's so we are going to work on a stress management plan. Alyssa took the news so well. She was happy to finally understand what was going on. I am not going to tell you she wasn't also upset. No 15 year old wants a "new problem" that they cannot control. Over all I think she is doing very well.

I didn’t take the news as well. I am ashamed to say I have been heartbroken by the news. I haven't let her see me cry but I have cried just about ever night since we found out. I think I would have taken the news better if it was me that had been diagnosed. As parents we want our children to have perfect lives with no complication. I think I am just worried about her and school. If she has a really bad tic day like she did a few weeks ago....it could be so embarrassing for her and kids can be so cruel.

Thank you all for your prayers and love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Gail, Being a teenager is as difficult as it comes. However, we all survived, each of us with our own set of issues, problems, conditions. As a parent all yoou can do is be there for her. Support her during both the good and the bad days. I would not treat her any differently as that would make her feel she is different or not normal. You have been through so much with the girls and you have still parented (sp) them without making excuses. It sounds like Alyssa is handling herself well and can only benefit from counseling. I think maybe "Mom" could use someone to talk to as well. Maybe a mini vacation, cruise for 3 (7) in November???? I am looking into it, what do you think?

8:07 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Gail said...

I would love to curise...not sure if I could work my classes around it.

9:09 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Many hugs and many prayers. She's perfect in her own way. And it WILL all be ok. {{{hugs}}}

11:00 PM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|