Friday, March 26

Growing older

In 4 months I will be turning 40. I have to say I am a little excited about it. I can’t explain why but I am. I have loved my thirties. I feel I have done a lot of growing up in the past ten years.

I remember very clearly my 25th birthday. It was the hardest birthday for me. I felt I had not accomplished anything with my life and turning another year older was hard. I had always thought by the time I was 25 I would be a professional in a field with solid roots in a community.

Instead I was an Army wife who had just quit a job in the only field I was every any good. Apartment rental. I con rent anything. The only problem was the company I was working for. Their main goal it seemed to me was to rip off as many military families as they could and once I had enough proof of this I turned them in. So I was out of the game. My morals intact, which I have to say, felt good about. However still out of the game.

I tried other fields but nothing seemed to fit. I felt lost and worthless. Dh was on order to Germany and they had been changed to unaccompanied because of the Berlin Wall crisis. So I was going home to my parents.

There I was 25 and going home to mom and dad. I love my parents but you know at 25 you should be living somewhere other then their house. I had also gained a great deal of weight due to depression. Just a month before the move I had lost a baby at almost 30 weeks. It was hard.

I look back at that time in my life and I can honestly say I never felt my early twenties were the best.

Now here I am almost 40 and I can’t be happier. I have two beautiful daughters (which the doctors said would probably never happen), a husband I love deeply and a wonderful home.

The only sad note on turning 40 is Rob won’t be here to share it with me. Then again he thinks I am insane for wanting to. Rob is not one of those who grow old gracefully!


I’m planning a party. It maybe tacky to give your self a party but I feel-turning 40 is something I want to celebrate and I can’t wait!

Let me end with this:

Many people think old age is a disease, something to be thwarted if possible. But someone has said that if any period is a disease, it is youth Age is recovering from it. --T. C. Myers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|